Pages

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Fruit and Vegetable carving.

I started fruit and vegetable carving classes in September and  I am really enjoying them tremendously. It needs a lot of patience and concentration as the work is very intricate but the results are very satisfying.
I started off with carving carrot and cucumber leaves in week one. Controlling the knife which believe me is very sharp and  one that has a mind of its own needs a lot of skill and manual dexterity!!!My  cut fingers will vouch for this, having invested in a whole box of bandaids.

Week two and three progressed to carrot flowers , which came in all shapes and sizes.I am yet to master the perfectly shaped flower.

Week four and I am onto carving turnips, these being larger are I guess easier to manipulate as there is more surface area.Although I must say taming the knife is yet a challenge.

Now on to week five and along came the melon. My knife skills are improving and have only used two plasters all week. :)
I hope to continue for a few more lessons, I will update my progress if my fingers are still intact!!lolz.

Here are some clicks of my amateur carvings.

Carrot Flowers and Carrot Leaves


Turnips


Cantaloupe Melon

Submitting to:
Mindful Meanderings-artsy craftsy December 10

Artsy-Craftsy Challenge


30 comments:

  1. Wow wow wow wowwww they are so cute and lovely :) you are simply rocking :) but do take care of your fingers too.. waiting to see more from you :)

    And I wish I could learn too :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow..gorgeous nayana..I wish they have some classes here too. i would love to go...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Practice makes perfect!!...u r mastering it well...they r beautiful...love the melon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful carvings. They will make absolutely lovely garnishes on your serving plates. You have done so well for a beginner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! The art of carving is amazing! Truly exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Fantastic Carving ...have u learned or hobby ...very nice work...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely carvings especially the cantaloupe melon flowers,and carrot leaves,hope to see lots of veggy flowers in your blog..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nayna,

    They look so cute dear...I have done only tooth carving on wax...May be i should also give it a try!!:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. your carvings are perfect and awesome !!why dont you post some tutorials dear?:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amateur?? No one can tell! Looks awesome! You can give us some good tips.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely looking carvings...so delicate to handle..but look beautiful.......

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow you don't carve like an amateur. You have real talent. I didn't even know such classes existed!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful and lovely...keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW!! You have done a great job, dear!! Beautiful carvings..

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow just wonderful thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are incredibly cool! May I ask where are you learning this?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Omg, beautiful cravings, very cute and awesome work..

    ReplyDelete
  18. amazing art work Nayna, keep posting

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is amateur work? u must be kiddin!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Went through ur carving posts, amazing work dear. Wish I could also attend such classes here.
    FOODELICIOUS

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow looking like eye festival oh my god amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails