Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The Alchemic Larder- Review


Having Indian roots I grew up with an abundance of spices. I love the smell, aroma and the fragrance each one exudes, so when I was asked by Harvey Nichols if I wanted to sample an Alchemical Larder containing 16 little colourful jars with unique spices, salt, rubs and dusts, all beautifully boxed how could I turn down the offer?
Now you may ask if my larder is full of spices why I would want more. The Alchemical Larder is very unique  and it has an assortment of spell binding flavours with the  most unusual names and blends that I have ever come across. The spice kit consists of 16 little colourful jars with unique spices, salt, rubs and dusts, all beautifully boxed with suggestions for their uses. The jars are rainbow coloured and almost like a magical spice kit.



There are jars of:
  • Persian rose petals
  • Mediterranean lavender
  • Carnal sin made with Persian rose, magenta beets, sumac and hot peppercorns
  • White mischief - smoked china tea blend with jasmine and Orange flowers, chilli and Sichuan peppercorns
  • Nutmeg
  • Devil's penis chilli- fiery small chilli from hell
  • Grains of paradise-similar to black peppercorn
  • Saffron
  • Salt of the earth- made with wild flower petals and sea salt
  • Smoked Paprika
  • Cacao Nibs-Roasted cacao beans
  • Bitter Orange-sun burnt orange zest
  • Renaissance stardust- a blend of salt, sugar and cinnamon
  • Bay rose peppercorns-berries from Baies rose plant
  • Furikake- a blend of black and white sesame seeds, shiso and nori
  • Sumac
A few of the spices I have already used in my cooking but some are very new to me and I am very excited to try out the many unusual rubs in the spice kit.
The Alchemic Larder by Laura Santtini is available at Harvey Nichols and retails at £ 29.95. It is a very unique collection of spices and beautifully gift wrapped. They would make the perfect foodie gift for someone who loves cooking.Harvey Nichols also offer beautiful christmas hampers and gifts that would make Ideal Christmas presents. You can check their range here.

I would like to thank Harvey Nichols for sending me the Alchemic Larder to review. All opinions expressed in this review are honest and are my own and they not influenced in any way.


I created my sweet potato halwa recipe and used the saffron and nutmeg from my Alchemic larder.You can see the recipe here.






1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails